Pages

Saturday, November 1, 2014

You Want Fries With That?

Despite cold temps and brisk, gusty winds, we had 172 excited trick-or-treaters. Most had adapted their costumes to go over bulky winter clothing. Once again our outdoor display and giving out cans of pop were the hit of the town. The only odd occurrence was when a tiny child struggled up the front porch steps, a candy bag in one hand and a hotdog in the other.

I thought at first that the mother who accompanied her had given the girl dinner to eat as she trick-or-treated, but the mother said that someone down the block was giving out hotdogs as treats. These were full-size dogs in a bun WITH condiments! I though surely she was joking, but then when following groups of kids showed up also carrying and eating hotdogs, I was stunned.

My son thought this must be in response to our custom of giving out pop, but I wondered how in this day and age, parents would let their children have unwrapped food. My wife said that in a small town, with the permission of the parents who knew exactly where the homemade treats were coming from, made it alright.

Now I'm waiting for one of the houses between ours and the hotdog house to give out cole slaw next Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment