Pages

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Covenant

Many years ago I had the privilege to join in the celebration of my mother and father-in-law's golden wedding anniversary. As part of her remarks at the occasion, my mother-in-law said, "Every day for fifty years I awoke and thought I couldn't love this man more, yet every day I do."

Friday evening, my wife and I attended a production at the historic Sandwich Opera House, by our local theater troupe, of "The Wizard of Oz." The whimsical performance stuck faithfully to the beloved 1939 movie, and I was entranced from the moment Dorothy Gale and her faithful friend Toto took the stage. I am delighted that my wife and I are both still young at heart, and we love sharing magical times together.

The following morning my family gathered at Our Lady of Mercy for my granddaughter's First Holy Communion. As the children paraded up and down the aisles of the church, the girls in pristine white and pink, and the boys in slightly disheveled suits, I leaned toward my wife and said, "Is this what cherubim look like?" For indeed, my granddaughter looked like an impossibly adorable angel.

I got to hold my eight-month-old grandson for most of the ceremony. He is such a good boy, and we had so much fun inventing games to keep him occupied - gently squeezing my water bottle to make a little clicking sound, playing with the zipper of my sweater. I was again overwhelmed with love for my family, and the graciousness of God.

On the ride home, as I usually do, I was checking out my wife's profile as she was driving, and I thought for the hundred-millionth time, how beautiful she is to me, and I knew exactly how my mother-in-law felt.



No comments:

Post a Comment