Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2015

A Job Well Dunn

The beautiful Fellowship Hall of a hundred-year-old country church. Round banquet tables covered in lace and rose petals. People hugging, kissing, talking, laughing. Kids running among the chairs. A decorated cake off to one side. The proud husband takes a mic in front of the gathering, tells a joke, bids welcome, introduces his wife to applause.

But this is not a wedding reception. It is an anniversary. A twenty-five-year-cancer-free celebration. As if this was not enough, it is also the launch of my friend Joanie's inspirational book, "The Dance." This story of love, faith, and survival relates her journey through stage-four leukemia, and all those who helped her along the road to recovery, most of whom were there.

Father De Salvo offered a prayer, and Joanie said a few words, pausing frequently to fight back tears of joy. Dr. Madhavan, Joanie's oncologist, spoke of how it was God's hand that gave her the skill to heal. This was followed by a standing ovation. The two ladies were a tough act to follow, but I talked briefly about how Joanie and I met, all that's involved in publishing a book, and what I learned from the experience.

Carl and Joanie then danced to a wonderful performance of Lee Ann Womack's song, "I Hope You Dance," by their daughter Allison. Two lines quickly formed - one for the food table, and one for the book signing table. I was so happy for Joanie surrounded by her family, friends (many of whom go back to high school), and neighbors, all there to wish her well. I got to meet Joanie's three stunning daughters who were no longer ten, eight, and six-months, as I knew them from the book. I also got to meet Dr. Chitra Madhavan, a dear woman who radiated compassion.

The writers group was well-represented. All of the regular members came out to share in Joanie's accomplishment. The group is on hiatus for the summer, and it was great to see everyone. I think being there reinvigorated all of us about our writing.

The book can be purchased on Amazon. Look for, "The Dance," by Joan Aubele. To make arrangements for an autographed copy, contact the author at: jathedance@yahoo.com





These were my remarks:

When Joanie asked me to say a few words, the thought that struck me most was the incredible confluence of events that culminated in this moment.
(And just from that sentence you can see why I'm the editor.)
That Carl and Joan moved to Lake Holiday. That my wife and I bought a house in Somonauk. That our small local library, without meeting space, would be closed, and a wonderful, large, modern facility would take its place. That a writers group was formed, and that Joanie and I, each for our own reasons, would start to attend. That I saw early on that Joanie's story was a diamond in the rough, and that I thought I could help her polish it up. That I was inspired to ask Joanie if she wished me to do so. That she had the faith in my ability and my integrity to take me up on the offer.
The accomplishment and the moment are hers, and those who went through this journey with her: her family, the doctors and nurses, her spiritual leaders. So I just want to take a minute to tell you what this experience has meant to me.
When I volunteered to take a look at the rough draft, I did so out of a sense of professionalism, as one writer to another. I believed this is what the writers group was all about. It didn't occur to me that a result of the collaboration would be a cherished friendship. Most of you here have known Joanie far longer than I have, and know her more intimately, and I am blessed to share a small bit of her boundless love.
Secondly, I take pride in a job well done. Being the editor of a published work is certainly a feather in my cap. Plus, I learned so much from the process of bringing the story from first draft through publication. Headers, footers, file formats, ISBN numbers, copyright pages, tables of contents – so many things about putting a book together that most people, including me, take for granted. But the results speak for themselves. The story and the book are beautiful.
The feelings of joy and gratitude expressed by Carl and Joan overflow my heart. When she came by that Friday morning to drop off a proof copy of the book, her beaming face was all the reward I could have ever wished for. That Carl also came by to share the moment, meant more to me than I can say. It is an absolutely amazing thing to help make someone's dream come true, and it was my privilege and honor to be a part of that.
Lastly, I am awed and humbled that Joanie firmly believes that this story was meant to be told, and that God worked His will through me to bring this about. Joanie says I am a miracle brought into her life. Who am I to argue?

No comments:

Post a Comment