Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

I Scream

I can sum up what's great about America in one word: coleslaw.

On the way back from a doctor's appointment in DeKalb this afternoon, Nik and I passed through the town of Hinckley, home of the Dairy Joy restaurant. Dairy Joy is a local landmark, famous since the 50s for their soft serve ice cream. My wife and I have been going there since before our boys were born, and while they were growing up, often were the times we would load them into the car and drive out after work on a fine summer's evening. Most recently we were there with our grandkids, and watching the one-year-old take his first taste, smile from ear to ear, and open his mouth for more made it all worthwhile.

Today I ordered the cheeseburger basket which comes with fries and a small cup of creamy coleslaw. We sat out on the shaded back patio, and looked at the puffy, white clouds in a bright, blue sky as we ate.

I thought that this was all this country's middle class wants - to live in peace, enjoy an ice cream with their families once in a while, have a job to go to, and a home to call their own.

Yet this is exactly what the government, big business, and the rich seem determined to deny us. I don't understand why since it is the middle class that allows the government, big business, and the rich to exist.

So I say, long live the middle class, long live Dairy Joy, and long live coleslaw!



No comments:

Post a Comment