Pages

Monday, September 21, 2015

A Good Time Was Had By Al

Well, the 2015 Third Annual Illinois Walk, Run, & Roll for TMA is in the books. In a word, the day was perfect. The sun shone as brightly as the smiles on the hundreds of happy faces that turned out for the event. The canopy of blue sky above was matched by the sea of sky blue TMA T-shirts below.

Team Uncle Virge (that's me) was well represented. My wife, my two sons, my daughter-in-law, her mom, and my four breathtakingly beautiful grandchildren were there to support me. I got a big hug from my friend Liz, and we talked about last year's event that was bitterly cold and overcast, and how I was so sick from cancer chemotherapy, but I still turned out for the event. What a difference a year makes.

This year's event raised awareness and over $40,000 for research into this little known and little understood host of autoimmune disorders. All levels of this crippling disease were on display, from people using braces, canes, and walkers, to a fully motorized, tank-treaded, monster chair.

At the conclusion of the 1.5 mile walk, medallions and goody bags were handed out to the participants. We heard from the event organizers, including my friend Liz, the chairperson of the 2015 organizing committee, and a young woman with purple hair tied back in a ponytail and a silver nose-ring, in a miniature wheelchair, who happened to be a Para-Olympic gold medalist. While she spoke about training for the 2016 games in Rio de Janeiro, my grandchildren sat in the face-painter's chair, becoming even more adorable than they already are (if that's even possible).

Afterwards, we went to Teddy's Red Hots for lunch, and joked about the Bears, playing on the flat-screen TV, to hide our shame and frustration.

Below, you can see the results, as I become more familiar with my new digital camera. I still have trouble breaking the habit of putting the camera up to my eye before snapping the picture.

A good time was had by Al.


The venue


My friend Liz


The patients


Logan and Ben


Ashly and Logan


Beautiful Madison, the first face I look for


Owen, the O-Man


My precious princess Alexa


Brother and sister

The family . . .











Face painting . . .











Teddy's Red Hots









A berry good time was had by Al . . .



1 comment: