Pages

Monday, February 16, 2015

Save Big On Mattresses, Bedding, and Furniture

Today is that enigma of a holiday called Presidents Day, which falls on the third Monday of February. But what happened to Honest Abe's birthday? What about the Father of our Country? Does Presidents Day conveniently roll the two into one? Is the day supposed to include Millard Fillmore, our 13th president? All forty-three men who have held the office?

Perhaps the most apocryphal story of any president is that of the man who was first in war, first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen, as told in, "George & the Cherry Tree."

"George," said his father, "do you know who killed that beautiful young cherry tree yonder in the garden?"
George staggered under the question for a moment, then looked at his father. "I can't tell a lie, Pa," he bravely cried out. "You know I can't tell a lie. I did cut it with my hatchet."
"Run to my arms, you dearest boy," cried his father in return, "run to my arms. Glad am I, George, that you killed my tree, for you have paid me for it a thousandfold by telling the truth."

Scholars agree that by all evidence this legend is not true, but there is evidence that Washington may have been the last politician of which this may be said.

In any event, with these simple words administered by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, is the mantle and weight of the office bestowed:

“I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

It's no wonder that our Presidents age 10 years for every one year they spend in office. The Commander in Chief is handed the Daily Brief detailing wars around the world, threat assessments, and current ops. His secretary hands him his full slate of never ending meetings and appointments. He hears reports from his top directors on national security, congressional politics, media relations, public opinion polls, party elections, and fundraising. Then he sits down for a long session with his economic advisers to discuss the global financial collapse and how to ease the United States into a post-imperial, third-world country.

He learns to secretly dread the knock on the door, when a senior aide whispers in his ear and hands him a slim folder. Another shooting--children dead. A killer tornado--children dead. Although there is really nothing he can do about it, the buck stops here. He must once again embody a grieving nation, express condolences to a grieving community, lend sympathy to a grieving parent. My heart, thoughts, and prayers go out to these men who willingly imprison themselves in an oval cage.

I voted for Senator Barack Obama in 2008 because I believed in him. Here was a young, vibrant, African-American family man from my home town. If anyone could bring "Change We Can Believe In" to Washington, surely it was him.

Although I was far from impressed with his first four years in office, the Republican Party ticket in 2012 so represented the rich power elite, who came to be known as the one-percenters, and the most radical elements of the extreme far-right, I once again cast my ballot for the President. I was so deeply concerned that the forces supporting the Republicans would do whatever was necessary to rig the election, that I cried when the winner was officially announced.

Although the President's slogan for this campaign, "Forward," was exceptionally lame, I still believed.

With joy and hope, I watched the inauguration unfold on a gorgeous January day. I sent kudos to President Obama, his beautiful family, the palpable spirit of Dr. Martin Luther King, Beyonce, James Taylor, Kelly Clarkson, all the bands, representatives of our military, poets, the 800,000 citizens who attended the inaugural, and the grandeur of our nation's Capital.

Unfortunately the old expression, 'fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me' proved to be prophetic. As we now know, President Obama had been authorizing the greatest assault on the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the fundamental freedoms of U.S. citizens, and the American way of life, ever conceived. Since the facade of that beautiful, hopeful day was ripped away, we have seen the face of tyranny rear its ugly head.

"I am in this race to tell the corporate lobbyists that their days of setting the agenda in Washington are over. I have done more than any other candidate in this race to take on lobbyists — and won. They have not funded my campaign, they will not run my White House, and they will not drown out the voices of the American people when I am president." Barack Obama, speech in Des Moines, IA November 10, 2007

I no longer believe.

For a complete list of Presidents and their dates in office, visit this Wikipedia site: 




Hail to the Chief

No comments:

Post a Comment