Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2016

DNR

"Do you have a Living Will?" asked the intake nurse.

"Yes," I said through rapid breaths.

She clicked some keys on the room's dedicated computer, then turned and looked directly at me. "Is there a Do Not Resuscitate order?" she asked sternly. I was about to answer, but she said, "Before you answer, let me be clear about this. One of the monitors starts beeping, so I rush in here and find that you've stopped breathing for a few moments. You do NOT want me to do anything to bring you back!?"

I trembled under my blanket, afraid if I said yes, she would strangle me right then and there. I shook my head no.

"No?" she said. "No what?"

"No, not Do Not Resuscitate," I moaned in my delirium. "Pudding cup."

"Pudding cup? What does that mean!?" she blurted out.

"Don't bother with CPR and defibrillators," I panted. "Just put a spoonful of chocolate pudding in my mouth. If that doesn't bring me around, nothing will."

The nurse shot a look at my wife who simply nodded and shrugged.

"I think I have everything I need," said the nurse who quickly left the room - without wishing me a speedy recovery.



No comments:

Post a Comment