Pages

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Ich Bin Ein Berliner!

As some of you know, over the weekend, I had a bad reaction to a new treatment regimen one of my quacks, oops, I mean doctors, put me on. The only things that kept me out of the ER were the weather conditions, which made it too dangerous to transport me even by ambulance, and the round-the-clock care of my wife and son.

I lay in bed, curled up in a ball, shivering and sweating under a pile of blankets. My head throbbed, I was in terrible pain and spasming because I couldn't hold down my meds. The television was on in the background, set to MeTV (it's amazing what a great line-up The Big Valley, Gunsmoke, and Bonanza are when you're sick).

Only half listening, in a feverish state, I heard the news coming out of Germany. Amid the horror, I thought, how gruesome, and effective - and brilliant in its simplicity. A completely low-tech and below-the-radar operation. Hijack an eighteen-wheeler loaded with steel beams for maximum impact, kill the driver, and plow the unstoppable force into an outdoor market of Christmas shoppers.

The attack was quickly confirmed as an act of terrorism, and shortly after, ISIS, or ISIL, or some other damn Islamic militant group claimed responsibility.

And that's when it happened. The thought came into my head, maybe Trump is right. This scourge must be stamped out once and for all. The West cannot continue living this way. Maybe registries, internment camps, and nuking Mecca is the way to go. But then my fever broke, and a cooler head, so to speak, prevailed.

The rage - again - is incalculable. Saying more about the specifics of the tragedy would demean the dead, suffering, and grieving. Vows to bring swift justice upon the perpetrators does little to assuage the anguish.

But Christmas is not a time for retribution. It is not a time for neighbor to turn against neighbor. It is not a time for families to extinguish their candles and huddle in fear and darkness, especially on this shortest day of the year. It is not a time to forget the Christ child, whatever you believe.

Christ is love. Christmas is love. And in order for us to stay sane in an insane world, we too must believe in love.

And as far as agreeing with Trump? Remember, I was delirious. It won't happen again.

1 comment: