Pages

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Conspiracy Theorists Please Stand Down

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was ten years old, and along with 202,676,946 fellow Americans and much of the world, I watched Neil Armstrong take that one small step for man. The microphone of my portable cassette player was draped over the tinny speaker of our black and white TV console as I recorded Walter Cronkite's coverage of Apollo 11. There wasn't a kid on this pale blue marble who didn't want to be an astronaut. And these guys did it with pocket protectors and sliderules.
I still have an original copy of Look magazine with a complete photo spread of the mission, as well as a commemorative set of 8 x 10 glossies issued by NASA. Mankind's most giant leap before or since!

CBS News Moon landing coverage with Walter Cronkite (7/20/1969):



No comments:

Post a Comment