Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Steve's Yammin' Grahamin' Sweet Potato Pie

Happy Thanksgiving!

A few days ago, I published a blog about sweet potato pie. The post featured a recipe given me by a neighbor, who got it from her mother, who got it from her mother. I roasted and peeled sweet potatoes, burning my fingers in the process. I bought fresh jars of spices, throwing away last year's still almost full ones, and carefully mixed in cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger. I rolled out a scratch crust. I whipped whole cream with a little powdered sugar and vanilla for the topping.

But I wanted to see if I could come up with an easy sweet potato pie recipe that still comes close to homemade. I cut out the step of working with raw sweet potatoes by using canned yams, and skipped dealing with pie dough by using a store-bought graham cracker crust. I substituted pumpkin pie spice, using the open jar in my cupboard, for the individual seasonings.

The result was nothing short of fabulous. The pie was as rich and satisfying as any sweet potato pie I've ever had, but it was light and refreshing, which are not words generally associated with sweet potato pie. All the ingredients were perfectly balanced, and there are not enough "o"s in smoooooooth to describe the sweet potato custard filling. Sometimes people add too much spice to sweet potato pie, and it tastes like pumpkin pie, but in this recipe, the sweet potato flavor is front and center.

The idea of using canned yams in a pie is not original, but this is the recipe I came up with. I'd be proud to serve this pie at my Thanksgiving table.

Steve's Yammin' Grahamin' Sweet Potato Pie

Serves six

40 ounce canned yams in light syrup, drained
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Keebler Extra-Serving Graham Cracker Crust
Canned whipped cream for garnish

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In large bowl, mash drained yams with potato masher. Continuing with potato masher, mix in sugar. Mix in eggs. Mix in pumpkin pie spice. Mix in whipping cream. With rubber spatula give a quick stir incorporating sides and bottom of bowl. Pour custard into crust, scraping down sides. This recipe fills the extra-serving size crust perfectly.

Place pie in center of oven for 45 minutes. Test for doneness with butter knife inserted into center of pie. Knife should come out clean, but do not overcook. Pie will continue to set as it rests. Cool on wire rack. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Top with canned whipped cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment