Pages

Friday, November 25, 2016

What's Good For the Gooseberry...

We tried something absolutely unique for dessert yesterday - Gooseberry Pie. Gooseberries taste like a cross between rhubarb and raisins. We started with Oregon brand canned gooseberries, and followed their simple recipe of sugar, cornstarch, and butter.

The combination of tart and sweet was irresistible, with a luscious consistency. Gooseberry pie is all but forgotten, although it used to be quite popular. In Walt Disney's masterpiece, Snow White, when the Wicked Queen, in the guise of an old hag, appears at the dwarfs' cottage, she asks what kind of pies Snow White is making, and Snow White replies, "Gooseberry."

Also, in Edward Winslow's 1621 letter describing life at Plymouth colony, he writes, "Here are grapes, white and red, and very sweet and strong also. Strawberries, gooseberries, raspas [raspberries], etc."

Of course, it wouldn't be me if there wasn't a ridiculous story involved, as always, through no fault of my own.

I was bound and determined this year to end our feast of pumpkin soup, roast duck, and Brussels sprouts with bacon and walnuts, with gooseberry pie. No other dessert would do. Not sour cherry, not tart apple, not lemon meringue, not pumpkin or sweet potato, not even southern pecan with a shot of bourbon in it!

Even though the product is packaged under the popular Oregon brand, a staple in the baking aisle, no store in our area stocked canned gooseberries. I checked on Amazon, and single cans were available and listed for $11.49 per can. The recipe called for two cans. Then I noticed that a case sold for $27. It didn't take a math wiz to figure out that for an additional four dollars I could get SIX more cans. I placed the order and hoped we would all like gooseberries.

I finally received a shipping confirmation around the second week of November. We had already decided on a Plan B (sour cherry), but those cans could keep. Therefore, I was understandably excited when the package arrived. I opened the box, lifted out the case, cut the thick plastic wrap, removed a can, and looked at the label.

Grapes! Thompson Grapes! What the hell is a Thompson grape?

In fact, according to Oregon Fruit, the Thompson seedless grape is grown in the warm, sunny heart of California. This popular varietal has a light, green shade and a sweet, mouth-watering flavor. They recommend trying them in a classic fruit salad, a dessert pie, or indulging in a sweet and savory recipe like curried chicken salad.

But still . . .

I went through Amazon's online return process, and a message came back that the item had been reordered and that I could keep the case of grapes free of charge. Swell, but it looked like we were back to Plan B (the sour cherries).

Sure enough though, I got another shipping alert and delivery notice. The Thursday before Thanksgiving, I brought the box home. Although I was somewhat dubious, I repeated my steps.

We were getting closer, but blueberries were not what I wanted either. Yes, I could think of more things to do with blueberries (such as top a cheesecake), than canned grapes, but I had hoped for something a bit special for our holiday dessert.

This time I thought I better call Amazon directly. I dialed the customer service number and put the phone on speaker. In clear English, but with a marked Indian accent, the representative identified himself as Sanjeev.

I calmly and concisely explained the situation step by step. As I went on, I noticed the background chatter quieted, and when I finally exclaimed, "All I wanted were gooseberries!" I could distinctly hear the sound of giggling voices.

I was having as much fun telling the story as they were listening to it, and the rep said once again, if I so wished, he would be happy to reorder the correct item, and I was free to keep the case of blueberries with their compliments.

You can guess the rest. Plan B was pretty much a foregone conclusion, but after a late afternoon doctor appointment, just as the local post office counter closed on the Wednesday evening before Thanksgiving, I retrieved a package, the third time being the charm.

So for an initial investment of $27, I got twenty-four cans of specialty fruits. Amazon's loss will be the food pantry's gain (except for enough blueberries to top that cheesecake).

We served the pie, still warm, a la mode. I highly recommend you give this a try for next Thanksgiving, or anytime you want to serve a refined yet rustic dessert.


A turkey walked across our dessert

The turkey leaped from the pie to the plate

Our new Pfaltzgraff Autumn Berry dinnerware set



No comments:

Post a Comment