Pages

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Come Away Melinda

Come Away Melinda, written in 1963 by Fred Hellerman and Fran Minkoff of the Weavers, is one of the most powerful anti-war ballads ever written. The song has been performed by Harry Belafonte, Judy Collins, Mama Cass, Kenny Rankin, Tim Rose, Bobbie Gentry, and UFO. But in my opinion, the best cover by far is the haunting track on the album ...Very 'Eavy ...Very 'Umble by Uriah Heep and the plaintive vocals of front man David Byron.

There is some discussion as to whether the song was written about WWI, WWII, or possibly the aftermath of a future WWIII. To me, it is no matter. This sweet, sad song should be listened to by every parent, and every president before sending people off to war.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66L7xY7doPg

Daddy, daddy, come and look
See what I have found
A little ways away from here
While digging in the ground

Come away, Melinda
Come in and close the door
It's nothing, just a picture-book
They had before the war

Daddy, daddy, come and see
Daddy, come and look
Why there's four or five
Little Melinda girls
Inside my picture book

Come away, Melinda
Come in and close the door
There were lots of little girls like you
Before they had the war

Oh daddy, daddy, come and see
Daddy, hurry do
Why, there's someone in a pretty dress
She's all grown up like you
Won't you tell me, why?

Come away, Melinda
Come in and close the door
That someone is your mummy
You had before the war

Daddy, daddy, tell me if you can
Why can't things be
The way they were
Before the war began?

Come away, Melinda
Come in and close the door
The answer lies in yesterday
Before they had the war




[It perhaps should be noted that David Byron died of alcohol related complications, including liver disease and seizures, at his home in Reading, England, on Thursday, February 28, 1985. He was 38 years and 30 days old. His death was barely reported in the music press.]


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Before I went to college and became exposed to more groups and styles of music than I ever dreamed existed, Uriah Heep was my favorite band, right down to the Roger Dean album covers. The Demons and Wizards album featured such songs as, "The Wizard," "Traveler in Time," "Rainbow Demon," and "The Spell." Their follow up record, Magician's Birthday, continued the dungeons and dragons theme, before the phrase was even coined, and inspired a personal ritual I still look back on with fond memories.
I would turn on the blacklight, queue up the album, lie in my bed (Bunce and I shared a room, and I had the upper bunk), and fire up what I “reefered” to as a “Magician's Birthday Joint,” a fat, perfectly rolled doobie, usually in fruit flavored papers. My favorite blacklight poster was of a castle perched atop a rocky cliff, waves crashing against the rocks. A tall turret impaled the moon. (No, the symbolism is not lost on me.) My mind ranged over vast landscapes, carried by the music and the smoke.
Although the heavy metal music drew me to the band, there was much more to this versatile group. Such songs as “Come Away Melinda,” written in 1963 by Fred Hellerman and Fran Minkoff of the Weavers, is one of the most powerful anti-war ballads ever written. The song has been performed by Harry Belafonte, Judy Collins, Mama Cass, Kenny Rankin, Bobbie Gentry, and UFO. But in my opinion, the best cover by far is the haunting track on the album ...Very 'Eavy ...Very 'Umble by Uriah Heep. This song showcases the plaintive and powerful vocals of front man David Byron.
Uriah Heep still has a large and devoted cult following. They continue to tour and release new material. But my son, who grew up hearing and enjoying their music when I played it, recently pointed out they do not have a social media presence. In online discussions and threads that refer to 70s bands, Uriah Heep is not one of the names that comes up.
It should be mentioned that David Byron died of alcohol related complications at his home in Reading, England, on Thursday, February 28, 1985. He was 38 years old. His death was barely noted in the music press.

No comments:

Post a Comment