Pages

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Fiber in the Park

Hi all. I just got back from the Fiber in the Park festival at Shabbona Park in Earlville.

I was going to spend the day at home, and my wife had planned to attend the annual wool fiber show that she looks forward to each year. But it was such a gorgeous day, 67 degrees, bright blue, with puffy gray-white clouds, that I decided on a whim to go with. So my wife and son got me ready to go, out into the car, wheelchair in the trunk, and we were off on the backroads for a quick drive through the cornfields.

I am very glad I went. The park itself was beautiful, lots of old trees (one giant oak taking me back 45 years as I imagined myself climbing rope ladders up to my treehouse), a system of fishing ponds (bobbers and line adorning the lower branches), and vintage slides, jungle gyms, and even a merry-go-round.

The small show featured everything from hand-crafted spinning wheels to carding combs, from roving and fleece to worsteds and dyed yarns, from knitted hats to lace shawls and plaid blankets. There were women spinning wool fiber into yarn and a man who introduced us to Molly and her kid Kiefer, two Icelandic sheep.

The colors of the skeins of yarn for sale were amazing. We had gone with the intention of looking, not buying, and not having any particular projects in mind. I have to say, I made out like a bandit. We bought a skein with orange and brown and yellow and a very little green that my wife is going to crochet into an autumn hat for me. Then we were looking at some finished products, and we found a wonderful, long scarf in shades of brown with a Native American design that happened to look great around my neck. Although the items were not inexpensive, they were reasonably priced and everything was on sale.

Now I'm writing on my laptop and my wife is grilling chicken. We've got a couple of Leinenkugel Red Lagers chilling in the fridge, and Halloween Oreos for dessert. Turned out to be a very good day indeed.




No comments:

Post a Comment