Pages

Friday, October 3, 2014

A Good Cup of Jobe

I'm having my first cup of coffee since before I went into the hospital, but it's no fun anymore. For diabetic reasons I've given up flavored creamers, which I love - Mexican Chocolate, Pumpkin Spice (my favorite), Bailey's Irish Cream, Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookie, and more.

They tasted so good in the morning while I read, my cat curled up in my lap sound asleep. The comforting aroma, the luxuriant smoothness, the decadent sweetness. But from now on it's me and Mister Milk of the One-Percent.

Yes, I will be tempted, but I've been down this road before. In fact, I will undoubtedly succumb on an occasional weekend and holiday, although they say total abstinence is the best policy.

It seems like, one by one, God is taking away every simple pleasure I have left. Yom Kippur is upon us, which I always thought should be a time for reflection, not atonement, punishment, guilt and fear. I mean, you're being written into the Book of Life and Death, for Christ's sake!

I try to live a moral life. I try to give of my talents freely as best as I am able. I try to not let all the anger inside me overwhelm the love.

Anyway, it's probably time for your second cup, so I'll let you go. Besides, they don't even make Cinnamon-Hazelnut anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment