Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Ice Chips Are Your Friends

First, let me apologize for being late in starting my Halloween countdown, but I've been living my own horrorshow for the last few days. Sunday morning Shellie and I took a drive along foggy, country roads to our local emergency room. I was felled by a combination of runaway blood sugar levels from the steroids, plunging white cell counts, violent nausea and dehydration from the chemo, and inability to hold down my regular meds for TM pain and spasms. I had an infection and fever. One word of advice,

Beep beep beep beep beep beep beep BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEEEP! BEEEEP! BEEEEP! BEEEEP! BEEEEP! BEEEEP! BEEEEP!

Sorry, the damn IV alarm went off again. As I was saying, one word of advice is Dilaudid is your friend. I also noticed this morning that a new anti-nausea pill I'm taking, lists one of its side effects as nausea. I was discharged yesterday afternoon at five and I actually had take-out won ton soup for dinner. We watched Wheel and I hit the hay. I had a fairly

Beep beep beep beep beep beep beep BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEEEP! BEEEEP! BEEEEP! BEEEEP! BEEEEP! BEEEEP! BEEEEP!

Call button. Where the hell's the nurses' call button? Anyway, I had a fairly good night. I didn't have to call Nik or Shellie once, even to help reposition myself. Whenever I woke up, I checked the clock and then rolled on my back and ate some ice chips. One word of advice - ice chips are your friends. This morning I am resting comfortably. Nik made me the best soft-boiled eggs I've ever had, using the America's Test Kitchen method.

We're adjusting to the new morning routine of commode, meds, blood sugar check, and something small to eat. My doctor prescribed an insulin pen, so soon I'll be dealing with that. I was chastised severely by the doctors, nurses, ER techs, and my beloved sister (who is about to belove me upside the head) for not taking care of myself and following my instructions to the letter.

Lastly, I cannot say enough about the nursing staff. Florence Nightingales, angels of mercy, they bring beauty, compassion, skill, and forbearance with them wherever they go. To lay there and watch how

Beep beep beep beep beep beep beep BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEEEP! BEEEEP! BEEEEP! BEEEEP! BEEEEP! BEEEEP! BEEEEP!

HARD AND PROFESSIONALLY they work is awe-inspiring! A dear friend, who is also battling cancer much rarer and invasive than mine, suggested that some baked goods are always welcome at the nurses' station, and a nice gesture of appreciation. I think a zucchini bread or tray of muffins will soon be on their way.

Tired now. More to follow. But just to keep my spirits up, I want everyone to give me a B, give me an E

Beep beep beep beep beep beep beep BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEEEP! BEEEEP! BEEEEP! BEEEEP! BEEEEP! BEEEEP! BEEEEP!

Screw it.



No comments:

Post a Comment