Pages

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

In A Nutshell

I missed yesterday's Halloween countdown post because I was going through my second chemotherapy session. It was worth it though because I got to hear one of the funniest exchanges of all time.

A nurse was talking to an elderly woman patient and the nurse asked, "How's your family?"

The woman replied, "Well, my husband just had double back surgery, my brother's in a full body cast, and my son has to go in for surgery in two days."

The nurse hesitated for a moment and then remarked, "It sounds like the healthcare industry is getting rich off your family."

And the woman replied, "They're all in cahoots."

I burst out laughing as the thought struck me that I've spent my whole life writing stories, and articles, and essays, and speeches, about corporate and government wrongdoing, coverups, and conspiracies. Yet here, more eloquently and succinctly than all my florid and rhetorical prose, this wise, courageous woman summed up my entire philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment