Pages

Monday, February 1, 2016

Winter Solstice Solicitude

I ran across these old, Pagan, yuletide chants for before sleeping and after waking. It struck me, as the early Church adapted primitive customs into the Christian lexicon, what great modern prayers these would make. I took the liberty of doing so. Is this presumptuous of me?

Before sleeping:

As we approach the year's longest night,
I ask you, (insert deity or element),
to be with me / and my loved ones
and safeguard us through the hours.
May we be blessed in community,
bountiful in feast,
and rich in the earth's gifts
as we welcome the return of the light.

After waking:

I arise today
through the strength of the heavens;
light of the sun,
splendor of fire,
clarity of ice,
speed of the wind,
depth of the snow,
stability of the earth,
firmness of the rock.
The light has returned!

New interpretation -

As we approach the day's long night,
I ask you, Lord
to be with me and my loved ones
and safeguard us through the hours.
May we be blessed in Thy community,
bountiful in the Feasts of the Saints,
and rich in Thy gifts
as we welcome the return of Thy light.

I arise today
through the strength of Heaven;
light of Thy Son,
splendor of the Holy Spirit,
clarity of purpose,
speed of Thy will,
depth of my soul,
stability of my faith,
firmness of the Rock.
Thy light has returned!

No comments:

Post a Comment