Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Good Fight




I have always been a worrier. I have the ability to look into the future and perceive every adverse permutation of a plan or situation. This ability is shared by every science fiction writer worth his salt. My dad tells the story about the time when I was thirteen years old and at the Mayo Clinic for some very delicate surgery. He walked into my hospital room and became gravely concerned because my bed was surrounded by a large group of doctors who were deliberately focusing on me. But upon stepping closer, he realized that we were involved in a chess match and that I was soundly beating a group of the finest minds in the nation. Being able to see an infinite number of moves ahead of my opponents is both a blessing and a curse. It helps keep me out of trouble, but it also leads to a paralysis of action. Sometimes you just have to wing it.

I am very worried that our government is poised to make a major move. I believe that the world is about to be partitioned into spheres of influence under American, Chinese, and Russian control. Martial law will be invoked. We will see Federally issued identification papers, curfews, armed checkpoints, a military presence on our streets, and DNA indexing of all citizens. All forms of dissent, no matter how peaceful will be ruthlessly crushed. The Bill of Rights will be suspended. Guns will be confiscated. Mass arrests of alternative news journalists, protest leaders and civil libertarians will take place.

Unfortunately, I feel that this will be accomplished with the consent of the governed. The rest of the world, including all other democratic countries, already live with these impositions. The President of the United States will make the case that these measures are necessary to insure the safety of all, as well as our freedoms and liberties. He will point out that commerce will be unaffected, that American citizens will still be able to live their lives mainly as they have been, that if you are into snorkel diving off the South Carolina coast, you will still be able to do that, if you're into hiking in the National Parks, you'll still be able to do that (just be careful not to trip over a gas pipeline), if you're into restoring old cars, crocheting, going to a baseball game, you'll still be able to do all of those things. You can have a pet, own a home, raise a family. The pursuit of happiness will go on.

The government will chuckle at the conspiracy theorists and consign us to sitting in our corners wearing our tinfoil dunce caps. I don't know. Maybe it is a good thing and I am fighting the wrong battle. I know full well that the vast majority of people would go along with a “secure state” scenario and that I am just pissing into the wind. But I am a worrier. I believe that absolute power corrupts absolutely. So I will remain a worrier, and a warrior.

No comments:

Post a Comment