Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

Trolls

Until yesterday, the only trolls I knew about were in The Hobbit. My family and I were talking about getting my blog out there to a wider audience. I felt that the work was where I wanted it to be, and there was as much or as little as someone might want to check out. We were going back and forth, because increased exposure brought...well, increased exposure. My Gen-X son, a PC gamer, who hosts his own server (whatever the hell that means)  said I had to watch out for "trolls." He explained that I would be opening myself up to people who liked to cause trouble on the internet simply because they can. I said I was pretty thick skinned and had the option of answering, ignoring or deleting negative posts.

A little later in the day I was perusing my Facebook news feed and I saw this post. I clicked on like. The comment bar rolled down and I could not believe when I read this comment. How can people leave vulgar, hateful messages in response to a small child with cancer? Here's the comment I read, I didn't even bother reading the negative messages themselves:

Rebecca Van Helsing: To those of you who have left vulgar, hateful, vile remarks. I feel the shame your mother and family must feel towards you. I can only hope that life treats you with more kindness and understanding than you have shown this most amazing child, soon. I can't imagine how awful it must feel to be you.

I decided that if this brave kid could take it, I sure could. Let Anduril be my sword.




No comments:

Post a Comment