Pages

Friday, March 11, 2016

Bon Appétit

With all the controversy about food package labeling - artificial flavorings, artificial colorings, artificial sweeteners, chemical preservatives, herbicides, pesticides, growth hormones, antibiotics, and recently, high percentages of wood pulp in shredded cheese - where's the consumer to turn?

And then, of course, there's the elephant in the room: GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms). Companies like Monsanto, Archer-Daniels- Midland, Nestle, ConAgra, and General Mills are pressuring members of Congress to ban labeling. They do NOT want people to know what's in the food they eat.

Another hot button issue in food is the use of high fructose corn syrup. It's in everything, but how bad can it be? It's made from corn. I love corn. I love it on the cob, in the can, or creamed. I love cornmeal in bread, muffins, and fritters. I love grits, and polenta fried in butter. I love corn tortillas.

In fact, if I saw an ad for Aunt Jemima's 100% High Fructose Corn Syrup, I'd be all over that with a stack of pancakes. Let those Canadians and Vermonters have their maple. I'm from the heartland, and corn syrup is by God good enough for me. 

But I have a simple solution. I think, from now on, all packaging should carry the following warning:


CONTAINS FOOD
MAY BE HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED



No comments:

Post a Comment