Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2016

The Greatest of These Is Love

Today was all about love.

My wife and I attended our local church this morning, and the sanctuary never looked lovelier. The sun illuminated the stained glass, lilies surrounded the altar, and the small congregation came forward to decorate a living cross with sprays, flowers, and fronds. Of course, we were made very welcome. It's a non-denominational church, and they know I'm Jewish and my wife is Catholic, but they love having us there. They make a big fuss over us. Go figure. Pastor Chuck delivered a gentle message of doing good and serving others.

We spent the afternoon with the family and grandkiddies. Also celebrating with us was a friend of my son and daughter-in-law, who I've watched blossom from a high school girl into a beautiful young woman. She was there with her fiance. When she introduced us I reached up from my wheelchair, warmly shook his hand, and said, "Congratulations. It's a pleasure to meet you. I don't have to tell you what a great gal you're getting, but I do have to tell you I will personally kick your butt if you do her wrong." My contention was backed up unanimously.

Another young woman was there with her newborn daughter. I first met her several years ago at my son and daughter-in-law's wedding, which was held at our house. She made a point to sit with us later in the evening to tell us how beautiful our home was. My daughter-in-law's grandmother, parents, and siblings were also in attendance. How wonderful to have so many generations representing the cycle of life on this day of rebirth and renewal.

Before my sons had even wrestled me into the house, I was face to face with my four-year-old grandson. I looked at his fine, blond hair and delicate features, and he looked back at me with his sparkling ice-blue eyes, saying, "Grandpa, grandpa, grandpa."

I gave a general wave and "Happy Easter" to the crowd, and then I was at the folding table, playing with my grandson for the rest of the afternoon, even through coffee, dinner, and dessert.

Things were winding down. My grandson had worn me out, and I was starting to feel punkish. I leaned back to rest and my grandson quietly began to play by himself. My one-year-old grandson hadn't been paying much attention to me, and I believe in letting kids approach me in their own time. He climbed up in the chair vacated by his older brother and picked up one of the toys on the table, but I didn't think anything of it.

I told my wife I was ready to head home. I was giving the four-year-old a big hug goodbye, when all of a sudden, my younger grandson started shrieking.

Everyone thought he hurt himself on a toy or something, but we quickly figured out he was crying because he had waited so patiently for his turn to play with grandpa, and I was leaving. When we realized this, it broke my heart. I took him in my arms and held him. After a few moments, he calmed down and snuggled his head against my chest, and melted my heart.

Today was all about love.



As I was falling asleep last night, I was thinking about how much pain I was in, but how much love I have in my life. Then I thought about whose day it was, and what He taught us about pain and love.


No comments:

Post a Comment