Pages

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Distant Friends

Leslie Ann Woods

Obituary

RACINE - Leslie Ann (Nee: Lawson) Woods, 56, passed away at home surrounded by her family on January 3, 2014. Beloved wife of Ralph Woods. Daughter of Louann (Nee: Rezabek) Lawson and the late Harold Lawson. Mother of Jennifer (Joshua) Mohr, Jessica (Jonathan) Knoll and Caroline Woods. Grandmother of Jonathan, Joshua and Julia Mohr and Mackenzie Knoll. Sister to Christopher and Jeffrey Lawson. Ralph and Leslie met and fell in love at Northern Illinois University. They spent several years as residents in Illinois, where all three of their children were born. In 1989, they moved to Racine, Wisconsin where they raised their family and made many cherished friends. To celebrate her life with all who loved her, there will be visitations in both states, as well as a memorial service and reception held in Racine. A visitation will take place at Trinity United Methodist Church, 3825 Erie Street, on Saturday, January 11 at 1 p.m. A memorial service celebrating her life will begin at 2 p.m. Following the service, a reception will be held at the Harbor Lite Yacht Club, 559 State Street, from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. In lieu of flowers, the family has requested that donations be made to the BloodCenter Research Foundation, PO Box 2178, Milwaukee, WI 53201. Purath-Strand Funeral Home 3915 Douglas Ave. Racine, WI 53402 (262) 639-8000

A few days ago, I got a call from a college friend who I talk to a couple of times a year. He keeps up with a lot of the old gang and always has the latest news. But I was not prepared when he said, 'Hi, Steve, it's Joe. Leslie Woods died.'

I was instantly taken back to 1976 and the dorms at NIU where we all met and shared a camaraderie of music, dating, partying, and partaking of all the opportunities and new experiences before us. I thought of sweet Ralph, a laid back guy who liked nothing better than playing Crosby, Stills on his acoustic guitar. I remember the first time Ralph introduced me to Leslie as his girlfriend and thinking, 'Luc-key.' I thought of their children, and apparently grandchildren who will miss her.

Then Joe also mentioned that another dear friend in California was very sick with throat cancer. Joe himself lost a leg last year to diabetes. He asked me how I was doing, and I told him, 'Still in a wheelchair and a lot of pain.' He said, 'Wow, I wonder if we're all paying the piper for all the things we used to do'? I said, 'Do you think that's it'? and he replied, 'I don't know.'

I really don't think that's it, but we're actually not that old. We're all in our 50's, theoretically, years until retirement, to say nothing of the so-called 'golden years.' I guess 50 is the new 90.

This is what I wrote in Leslie's Guest Book: 
Sadly, it has been many years since I met Leslie in the dorms at NIU. I remember her being every bit as beautiful and more than this picture. It is my loss that I fell out of touch with such lovely friends, and as is often the way in life, now it is too late. My deepest condolences to Ralph and their children and family. With sincere affection, Steve "Dunlovie" Dunn


No comments:

Post a Comment